Media and Public Relations Officer
Media and Public Relations Officer is a rare and exciting opportunity at StepChange Debt Charity. We are looking for a talented PR specialist to help deliver the charity’s key messages via the media, on both a pro-active and reactive basis, working closely with colleagues across the charity and with lead responsibility for consumer media engagement, sharing our work via social media, and monitoring and evaluating StepChange press coverage.
With this role you can enjoy a hybrid working environment, primarily working from home with some days in the office and occasional travel.
What you will be doing
- Quickly and efficiently handle incoming media requests for comment, interviews and filming, liaising with the Media & PR Manager on how to manage requests, and keep accurate records of them.
- Compile and distribute, by 9.30am, the morning media monitoring service for the charity and handle day-to-day liaison with our media monitoring provider.
- Source and maintain relevant, accurate media lists and handle day-to-day liaison with our media database provider.
- Bring a proactive and creative approach to the planning of the charity’s media activities, and implement agreed activities such as drafting briefings, quotes, press releases, articles, blog posts etc
- Proactively pitch feature stories, pulling together evidence, insight and client case stories to support the charity’s objectives.
- Take responsibility for reflecting the charity’s media, policy and campaigns work on StepChange’s social media channels. Liaise with stakeholders across the external affairs team to create a regular stream of content that gives insight into the charity’s work in these areas
- Compile monthly coverage reports and competitor analysis for management information purposes.
- Keep abreast of developments in debt (and within the charity) to be able to talk knowledgably about key issues.
- Establish and maintain relationships with relevant journalists.
- Be prepared to cover parliamentary monitoring in the event of absence of other staff.
What we want from you
- Sound knowledge and understanding of media processes (including social media, blogs)
- Good PR skills and understanding of how the media works
- Good knowledge of news and current affairs
- Experience of drafting press releases, articles, quotes and blogs
- Experience of monitoring and evaluating media coverage
- Experience of dealing with press calls and briefing staff for interviews - or experience of planning and conducting interviews
- Experience of having proactively secured media coverage or of working as a journalist.
- Excellent communication and writing skills
- Self-starter, able to work on own initiative and who appreciates the need to keep up to speed with developments
- Happy to balance the demands of regular, routine and detailed administrative work with a creative approach and new ideas
- A PR or journalist qualification is desirable
- Previous experience of working in PR or as a journalist in a business or personal finance related field is desirable
What we offer you
- 24 days annual leave (this increases by one day per year up to a maximum of 29), plus bank holidays
- Hybrid work – the ability to work from home
- An individually tailored personal development plan and ongoing training
- The opportunity to buy and sell annual leave
- Use of a Charity laptop and headset for working from home
- Travel season ticket loans
- Discounted car parking
- Cycle-to-work scheme
- Group personal pension scheme
- Westfield Health cash plan
- Employee assistance programme
- Financial planning
- Long service awards
- Free tea and coffee in the office
StepChange are the UK’s largest and most comprehensive provider of free debt advice. Hundreds of thousands of people come to us for help every year. Some are at crisis point and many don't see a way out. We help them to find a way out of their debt problems. We don't judge people; we provide the support, guidance and solutions that are needed. Whatever the situation we'll look for practical solutions that make our clients' lives better.
Register for job alerts
Find out when we're hiring first.
Register for job alerts and we'll tell you when your perfect job comes up.Sign up now »
We'd also welcome a speculative application if you think you'd fit in with our team.Send an application here »